First Date Etiquette
Thursday, April 24th, 2014
First date etiquette is a blend of common sense and manners, but sometimes it’s helpful to have a check list to look at as a back up plan. Here are some tips for making sure that you make the right impression on your first date:
Clean, fresh and neat is the summary of how you should present yourself on a first date. Before leaving the house you should:
- Shower or bath.
- Shave (if appropriate).
- Tidy up your beard or moustache if you happen to have one.
- Clean your teeth thoroughly.
- Make sure your clothes are free of pet hair and mud.
- Make sure that your hair is neat and not interspersed with hay.
- Try to arrive on time – if you’re running late, let the other person know.
- Stand up to great each other and either shake hands or kiss on the cheek.
- Try not to swear -swearing is divisive and can really put some people off.
- Strike a balance between talking too much and replying with ‘yes’ or ‘no’ responses.
- Don’t talk about your ex, unless asked to.
- Strike a balance between talking about yourself too much and asking so many questions that it feels like you’re conducting an interview.
- Laugh – laughter reinforces a connection and makes you both feel good.
- Smile when you greet your date.
- Look at your date when they are talking.
- Try not to get distracted by people or things around you.
- Keep your phone hidden.
- Keep your body language open – this means smiling and not crossing your arms or legs. When you are comfortable with someone you will naturally synchronize your body language with one another.
- Send a message to your date to say that you had a nice time – it will put them at ease and will give them the opportunity to send you a nice message in return.