Why haven’t My messages been read?
Sunday, April 10th, 2016
Sending someone a message is the single most important thing that you can do on a dating website. It shows that person that you are interested in them and is the first step in arranging a first date. Being on a dating website without sending messages is pointless and is like owning a mobile phone and never turning it on.
Here are some common questions that we get asked about whether messages have been read…
Has my message been read?
When the recipient has read your message you will receive a tick in the column next to your sent messages to indicate that it has been opened.
What if it hasn’t been read?
If your message hasn’t been read, it could indicate one of the following:
- They haven’t been online since you sent it – some people do not have regular access to the internet, or may have a terrible internet connection. You can check this by looking at the ‘active within’ status on their profile.
- They aren’t subscribing yet – everyone joins Muddy Matches as a free member, but if you wish to send a message, or reply to a message you need to be a subscriber. The recipient may not be a subscriber at the moment, but you message may be the prompt that they need to become a subscriber.
- They aren’t interested – unfortunately in some cases it may just be that they aren’t interested in corresponding with you
How can I increase my chances of getting a response?
There’s no fool proof method for ensuring that your messages get read, but there are a few things that can increase your chances:
- Be personal – a personal message which references something that they have mentioned in their profile will make the recipient feel special as it shows that you haven’t just sent a generic message.
- Keep it short – a long message takes a long time to reply to, so some people will be put off. A short message will get conversation started.
- Ask a question – asking a question will make it easier for the person to think of what to say and it will feel more like a natural conversation.